Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Experience full of Discovery and Realization


Experience full of Discovery and Realization
 

    To the left are quotes that will forever be engraved into my mind for many years to come. As a teacher, I will always be learning because I will always be a student while my future students are teaching me. It may seem confusing, but it's a teacher's reality. Everyone normally sees visually that the teacher is responsible for physically teaching the students through a variety of lesson plans, but in fact, the students are teaching the teachers about what they need to do in certain situations, how they can improve their teaching skills and tactics, as well as informing the teachers on what they will need to do to meet the students personal needs and to help them succeed. I learned a lot from field work these past couple of weeks and I learned things that I will remember for a lifetime of teaching. 
     One of the things that I learned from this experience is that one lesson is not strictly made up of one specific method. Yes, a lesson can be revolve around one instructional strategy, but not one instructional method. Looking back through the Approaches of Instruction article, I realized that without even noticing while we were designing and teaching the lessons, we used more than 7 different approaches of instructional methods out of all three of our lessons. I also thought about the first three groups that taught and how they used a lot of the instructional methods as well. It was interesting to see that we could use so many instructional methods all at once without even intentionally planning to do so.
    Something else that I discovered throughout this field work experience was that every lesson will end up including Bloom's Taxonomy one way or another. Bloom's Taxonomy has become such a wide spread practice that even if the teacher does not emphasize the steps directly, the students themselves will touch some point of the six step pyramid. I also learned that throughout my experience of teaching, Bloom's Taxonomy will always be used in the classroom even in the digital state of mind. Watching the video below helped for me to understand Bloom's Taxonomy and relate it back to my lessons and field work experience. 
      The video below is an animation of how Bloom's Taxonomy can relate to the digital world. This video is relevant because I have come to realize and learn that the students are heavily engaged into activities or lessons in which they will be creating something or working specifically with technology. I discovered that with today's generation and future generations to come, technology is going to only grow gradually into their lifestyles and learning styles. As the teacher, I need to be ready for that. 
      I learned a lot about myself as a teacher through this experience and I even picked up a few pointers and ideas from my colleagues. I'm grateful for such a wonderful opportunity and I am glad that I had this chance to really test out my teaching skills in front of others and prove that I have what it takes to be a successful "Techie" teacher.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment