Saturday, February 6, 2016

Awe-Inspiring First Day

Awe-Inspiring First Day


     My first day of field work was entirely as expected. I felt as if everything went smoothly and there were no unexpected turns or train of events. The children all seemed so interested and excited to see that we were there. Throughout the first day of field work, we spent our time doing our "Getting to know you" activity and getting to know our students for this semester. For our "Getting to know you" activity, we put together a puzzle piece in which the students would have to describe themselves. This activity was specifically designed to encourage the children into describing themselves using words or pictures so that we can learn about them, their likes and dislikes, etc. Once all of the students were finished and handed back their puzzle pieces, they were then cut out and put together as a puzzle piece board with an American Flag in the background. I believe that this field work experience will be a memorable experience that I will never forget. I'm excited to work with these students. 

Here is what my puzzle piece looked like: 


(I will post up a link to the template once I figure out how to upload it to Blogger.)

 

2 comments:

  1. Your getting to know you activity is so cute! I love how the students were able to express themselves by designing their own piece, and the message seeing them all connected is so powerful. I also like how when you type out your blog posts you change the font of the important parts. Your puzzle piece also came out very nice. I love this idea, especially how the page is titled "You are an important piece of the puzzle". You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Thank you for all of your wonderful compliments on my "Getting to Know You" activity. This type of activity was perfect to give my group a sense of how fast they work as well as their writing skills through fine motor use of the writing utensils. It also helped my group to understand how each student works at their own pace, which students are outspoken, which students need extra help, which students are shy, etc. I found this activity originally on teacherspayteachers.com, but I customized it and created my own version of it so that it was age-appropriate for second graders. What did you group do for your "Getting to Know You" activity.

    ReplyDelete